Re: [Harp-L] martial arts and harmonica

MICHAEL ZAKLAN wrote:

Hello everybody,
I'm tinsandwich, new to the list and new to the computer. For those of you interested in the martial arts and the harmonica; the National Middle School, High School, and Collegiate Judo Championships were held in Tinley Park, Illinois on March 25th and 26th. Someone was dumb enough to put me in charge of the opening ceremonies and entertainment. In addition to wrangling Taiko drummers, Iaido swordsmen, and Brazilian capoeiristas; I also had to come up with a performer for the national anthem.
Well, 20 minutes down the road from Tinley Park is the city of Joliet and we all know who lives there. A couple of emails later and Joe Filisko was onboard for the national anthem. I can't tell you what a kick it was to watch Joe balanced on an Olympic-style award stand, blowing "The Star Spangled Banner" above a sea of white robed Judokas, Taiko drummers, ancient Japanese senseis, and a color guard. Needless to say, Joe absolutely nailed it! I told him that there could be a future for him on the martial arts circuit.
---tinsandwich