RE: [Harp-L] can I blame the gear--please?

Here are the facts, for those interested enough to investigate. Whether or not you think equal tuning or just tuning makes a difference to the listener's ears, it most certainly can, whether they know it or not. It is a stone-cold fact that two notes that are justly tuned make another note that is lower in pitch and also in tune. It's not even unique to a harmonica, it is just a universal fact. Pat Missin's site has sound clips of this phenomenon, once you hear it you cannot deny it any more. There is a site linked from there that will train your ears to hear it, if I remember correctly. Playing fast fiddle tunes or Irish music, or whatever it is you play into a vocal mic, no it's not going to matter much if at all. Play into an amp, a good amp- not one that masks what you're playing, play one chord, and it is instantly obvious. A justly intoned amplified chord is an ominous force, bigger than the notes you are playing. An equal-tuned chord is just a chord. An out of tune chord is still an out of tune chord, and while some people couldn't care less, that doesn't mean it doesn't matter.

Regards