RE: [Harp-L] Bad reed I think

I'd say the number one reed killer is trying to bend the note too far
down instead of aiming for the correct pitch, but don't know why some
will break the draw, and some the blow. I know I can hit the 5 draw
bent by accident when going for the 6 bent, playing hard, and can take
out the draw reed instantly. It may also be improper resonance by the
player for the intended note. It could also be flaws in the reed as
Bobbie mentioned, either built in or put there by the factory worker.
In your case, who could know, could be a combination of everything.
Are there unusually deep tuning marks where the reed fractured, or did
it break at the base? Move it up and down until it breaks off if you
don't know. The new reeds are thinner and a really deep file mark will
obviously shorten the life of a reed, it happens. Did the harp play
well on that hole before it went out? Hohner has invested much into
improving their process, but any time you have workers doing things by
eyeball, in a hurry, things are going to happen (especially on a
Monday morning or Friday afternoon:))