Re: [Harp-L] making my own "melody maker" - question

Hi John,
  Go for it.  A couple of semitones is usually no problem with blow hole 3
reed.
Melody Maker(tm) is a practical tuning to do yourself.  For low reeds of
most harps its more work to replace them than to retune the existing reeds
a few semitones.

  When replacing reeds, use reeds that are the same dimensions, in many
cases you can find reeds of the same dimension that are higher or lower in
pitch to the reed you are replacing.  Sometimes because of the rivet hole
location, they may not seat center, in which case you need to enlarge the
REED's rivet hole (not the reedplate's), to allow some adjustment as you
progressively tighten the rivet.

  Its a bit more work but you can use longer reeds for replacement, as long
as they are the same width.  Then you can carefully trim the reed to proper
length using an equalling file, supporting the reed with feeler stock or
similar, but it can be time consuming, and you need to keep checking
regularly as you bring it down to size.

Cheers,
-- G.