Re: [Harp-L] this recent thread on positions, notes, colors etc...

This thread got me to thinking, which is not always a productive thing, but
it keeps me from babbling.
Unless you consider this babble :)
I have been playing "at" harp for a long time. I half-seriously dove into it
about 5 years ago and made some progress, but I still have some kind of a
mental roadblock.
Now... I can bend notes fluently. I   can overblow 4-5-6 on harps set up well
enough to do that. I have a modest ear for pitch and I understand some
theory, much of which I have learned here. When I sit in with a band, either blues
or country, I can usually find my way without too many embarrassments, barely
adequate mostly, but not scintillating.
BUT.. when I go somewhere like SPAH or Buckeye and get into those circle jam
sessions, I flounder. I think it's because I am a "feel" and 'by ear" player
and that doesn't seem to work for me there.
Chris talked about not thinking and perhaps I should try that. And I would if
I knew how.   It becomes frustrating to have the "feeling" inside and not be
able to play it. Has anyone else fought with this? If so, please send me the
magic key.

Still a fool for the Harp
Steve 'Moandabluz' Webb