Re: [Harp-L] Re:10 year old student

In a message dated 28/09/2005 21:36:33 GMT Standard Time, NormHC  writes:

Hi,
Congraulations. Anything that get kids interested ia a good thing.
Although I agree with everything that has been said. I have one or two
pointers that I hope will help, because I have taught kids to junior world
champions, with Harpstart, a project that myseld and Dr Midnight ran between  1998
and 2003.
First never tell a kid anything is difficult, just tell them  it's tricky,
(make a game of it)
If you say it's difficult, they think right away it's too difficult for  them
and give up.
Get them playing a simple tune as early as possible, we alway started  with
Skip to my Lou because the first line is all blow the second all draw the
third the same as the first and the last line alturnate blow and draw. and the
pattens are simular in the first 3 lines.
I always told my kids that I didnot care if they got it wrong but did  care
if they didnot try.
Our saying was "We will keep tryng to teach you provided you keep tryng  to
learn"
If you want to hear what they sounded like, let me know as I have  some
recording of them taken from shows and practises,
Regards
Norman
PS Some shows they performed on.
Mickey Mouse show.   NNT television, Why don't you (TV show in  UK)
Blue Peter, Motor Mouth, Free Time (  CNN. Good Morning  America) German
Television
Sky Television, and many others