Re: [Harp-L] 5th position

If you wish to truly go "where no man has gone before" (except Howard Levy -but he doesn't count because he is not-of-this-earth - and a few of the other musically savvy OB'ers), stop thinking "position" and start focusing on "notes".

Just play the notes, wherever they lay. Strive for the level where you truly don't know what "position" you are playing in - get to the point where it doesn't even matter.

For instance, I will not hesitate to play in D Major in "3rd Position" on a Bb harmonica, picking the correct notes out of the harmonica as needed. I don't consider it "3rd Position", but merely that my reference point, or tonic, is on 2 hole exhale/5 hole exhale.

The Iceman