[Harp-L] Re: Microtrack v Minidisc

The Microtrack will record 25 hours of MP3 music onto a 1GB media at its lowest fidelity setting
of 96 kbps.  Personally,  I wouldn't record music at anything under 128 kbps (the iPod default
setting) so that brings it down to 18-3/4 hours for good listenable medium-fi.  Or you could go up
to the max rate of 320kbps MP3 - more than adequate for all but the most discerning ears - and
still get 7-1/2 hours of recording time.  Or for the absolute audio purists it will record 100
minutes of uncompressed 24 bit WAV onto a 1GB card.   Minidisc doesn't even come close nor does it
offer such a range of recording options.   The only quibble I have with the Microtrack is that it
doesn't allow any setting lower than 96 kbps.    That means if you want to stream from the
internet to a 56k modem, you'd have to use 3rd party software to downsample, since 56k modems
can't handle 96kbps.

Of course the 1GB card is just for easy comparison.   CF and Microdrive cards also come in 2, 4
and 6 GB sizes and the prices are dropping sharply.  (Especially for Microdrives.)   They may
never reach the $7 per GB price point of HI-MD, but, in my opinion, the other benefits of the
Microtrack far outweigh the price disadvantage of its media cards.