Re: [Harp-L] york tape recorder mike

York is/was a low end brand of electronics sold at mass market retailers. The mic probably came from a $20 tape recorder.

Every now and then you can pick up a fun mic on Ebay for under $10. I have a couple that I really like. I also have a box of junkers. There are some ancient tape recorder mics that have Shure dynamic elements. Unfortunately enough people know about them that it's hard to get them cheap.

john kuzloski wrote:
I was back east a couple of weeks ago and poked around
the crowded basement and found an old tape recorder
microphone with the name York on it. It is a stick
type, cheap looking, mostly black plastic, smaller
than a 57, really light weight. I brough it back with
low expectations. It has a 1/8 inch male on the
short, skinny wire. I got an adapter from radio
shack, plugged it into a bassman-type amp and WOW, it
sounded great -- well, when I turned the levels on the
amp up a bit. Then I left the amp at the usual levels
and ran the mike through a mxr 10-band eq with gain
and volume up a bit -- YIKES! It screams. What a
nice surprise. I really wouldn't hesitate to gig with
it -- but I'd bring a back-up because it's pretty
flimsy. It has an on/off switch that doesn't do
anything. A magnifying glass shows that it says Japan
on the doohickie where the wire enters the mike. Anybody ever heard of York tape recorders or
microphones? I suspect they aren't top of the line! I think there's a lesson in here for me somewhere! --john k.