Re: [Harp-L] 1st chromatic

----- Original Message ----- From: "gerald simmons" <truckerdad67@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, September 26, 2005 4:32 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] 1st chromatic

Well, I guess I am down to two choices for a first
chrom; the hohner 270, or a hering model. Is there
that much difference in durability between the two?

The Hering reeds have the reputation for failing more often but there isn't a huge difference. Bill Price is a fan of Herings because he has one in every key. He apparently doesn't have a huge problem with reed failures.

The Hering is much easier to work on because the comb is plastic and the plates are held on with screws.

The Hering has a significantly lower price. Hering customer service is non-existent in the US.

The wooden comb of the 270 with nailed-on reedplates is not recommended. Wood shrinks, swells, warps, splits and peels. If you want Hohner reeds, I recommend a CX12.

If the choice is just between the two, get the Hering.

Vern