Re: [Harp-L] JR @ terra blues on the archive

"Steve McIver" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That must be one heck of a PC/MAC you got to record and listen to all these
> live shows. Do you mind sharing what you are recording with and what type of
> Pc you have? We are in the market for a new PC and I'm interested in
> recording as well.

the terra recording is not mine.  dave barfield taped it, using
a very high end rig consisting of a matched set of mics, a
top notch ($$) D/A converter, and DAT deck(s).

i transfer to pc by playing dave's DAT tapes through an
S/PDIF (digital) connection to a SB sound card that has
S/PDIF in (most don't).  this is a digital transfer, so no
information is lost.

i did the tracking, volume normalization, and some minor edits
on a regular pc running linux, using audacity for editing and
wavbreaker to split into tracks.  the label is created by my
own custom software that generates labels based on a text
file description.  the image on the terra label is from a picture
i took that night.  i like that one a lot, seems to capture his
onstage presence well.

i'll discuss my own new recording rig in a separate post.

----
Garry Hodgson, Technical Consultant, AT&T Labs

Your love, your anger, your kindness, your hate.
All of it creates the future for you and your children.
What kind of future are you creating today?