Re: Rock Players (was [Harp-L] live music clips of the trio)

Chris Michalek wrote:

<Yep, Rosco is one of the best but there is still a lack of Rock
<players.  I think there might be fewer Rock players than Jazz
<Players...
<
<I certainly can't name that many...
<
<John Popper - the current definition of a Rock Harmonica player?
<Rosco Selley - definate Rock player
<Jason Ricci - definately a Rocker but very much a blues guy
<Norton Buffalo (who is still mostly blues)
<Dave Gage - I heard some cool rock stuff from him ten years ago.
<A guy with the initals FJM from Southern AZ might qualify but I never
<know when he's playing...
<
<
<Who else?

Rob Papparozzi
Jim Fitting (Treat Her Right, The The, The Coots)
Johnny Mars
Richard Hunter -- most of the material I released to my subscription list between March 2002 and May 2005 was rock with heavily effected harp -- you can hear it now on Broadjam.com.
The guy who plays for Timbuk 3
Huey Lewis
Peter "Madcat" Ruth (especially his work with Sky King)
Paul Butterfield
Craig (can't remember his last name) with Connecticut band Fivewise
Steve Tyler
Steve Miller (before he started working with Norton Buffalo)
Larry Adler (hey, he played with Sting, didn't he?)
Jack Bruce

Granted that there is a much larger number of rock guitarists -- instrumentally speaking, rock IS fundamentally about electric guitars and drums (as the White Stripes have recently proved, again).  Granted also that a lot of the players listed above have overlaid blues sound and feeling on rock rhythms and chord progressions -- the same could be said of most rock guitarists.  (Steve Tyler certainly doesn't lean on the blues more than Joe Perry does.)  Finally, granted that a lot of the guys above are not the Eric Claptons of harmonica -- most rock guitarists aren't Eric Clapton, either.

A lot of work has been done in rock harp, and there are plenty of role models to learn from.  There's certainly a lot more to be done.

Thanks, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com