[Harp-L] acoustic jug band volume

Ross,

In response to your question about getting more volume in the acoustic jug band. If you like playing unplugged but want some volume, try the Pignose portable amps. They have a lot more volume than your Smokey. You basically have two choices:

1) Pignose 7-100. This is your classic Pignose battery powered amp which runs from AA batteries. Guitar players have been using this since the 70's. For controls it has only a single volume knob. The more you turn it up, the more distortion your get.

2) Pignose Hog-20. This is an entirely new animal. Its battery powered but rechargable. It uses a couple of rechargable lead-acid batteries that are mounted inside the amp. This amp puts out 20W and has a 6.5" speaker. It has a tone control, volume, and an overdrive/distortion (they call it squeal) control. It works great for harp. You will be amazed how much volume and tone you can get out of this little amp. The amp comes with an AC adapter so you can plug it in and charge the batteries. They claim 6 hours of playing time on a full charge. I've used mine for 4 hours over 2 days without the battery getting low.

OK, now for the disclaimer ... I sell both of these amps through my microphone business www.geocities.com/bottle_o_blues. But I'm not recommending these amps because I sell them. You can buy them anywhere you want. I have both and use them myself and like them. I really like my Hog-20. Its so cool to be able to get that level of volume from a portable amp.

Jim McBride

Yahoo! for Good