Re: [Harp-L] Building better harps - How?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim Moyer" <wmharps@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, September 12, 2005 6:20 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Building better harps - How?

I think it would be nearly impossible to start with an agenda that
requires us to quantify what each and every person prefers from their
harmonica to the point that we can measure and reproduce it with a
mechanical process.

Then you despair of success before undertaking the task. You are punting on the first down. If you cannot relate player preferences to mechanical processes, then how can you improve harp performance?

5.  Our goal should be to make the optimizing of harmonica
performance a science instead of an art!

I disagree with this goal.........

Because you do not think it desirable or because you do not think it attainable?

........ although I do not say that I "depend *solely*
on [my] ears" [emphasis added].  However, since the ears are the final
measure of the quality of the work, they need to be considered in the
equation.  After all, the tuner, the caliper and the gauge don't hear
the music.

I agree that the senses of the listener and player cannot be divorced from the process of creating "better" harmonicas. I think that they should be used at the beginning of the process to identify the attributes that constitute "better" and at the end to verify that "better" has been achieved. I also insist that they be used by "blind" listeners/players who do not know the pedigree of the harmonica. By pedigree I mean the maker of the harp, how it has been modified, and by whom.

Just because something is not solely a science doesn't mean it can't be
taught.  There have been teachers of art for millennia, and it, too, is
a well-developed process.

But "art" isn't a machine and a harmonica is. Playing the harmonica is art but optimizing it's mechanical details should not be. Music is subjective by definition but a harmonica obeys the laws of physics and acoustics.

In my opinion, when the number of variables and variations exceeds what
can be measured and quantified the process transcends science and
becomes art.  Certainly some parts of the process are capable of being
engineered for best repeatability and quality assurance, but the best
work is done by artists for artists.

All variables do not have equal effect. If we quantify the effect on "better" of a few of the important ones such as: leakage (especially in chromatics), tuning, gapping, and reed curvature, I doubt that the effects of the others are perceptible. Ranking effects can be a part of our effort.

Finding out WHAT do to our harps to achieve "better" is the problem. Once we know, then HOW to do it is well understood and easily taught.

"When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it. But when you cannot... your knowledge is of a meager and unsatisfactory kind..." William Thomson, Lord Kelvin, circa 1893.

Vern
Visit my harmonica website: http://www.Hands-Free-Chromatic.7p.com