Re: [Harp-L] John Hammond @ Argentina

My dad took me to see John in a small "theater in the round" club when I was 16, shortly after I began playing harp.  Just John on a small circular stage in the middle of a room.  That show inspired me / spoiled me for life.   I finally got to see him again at Cincinnati's "Tall Stacks" festival two years ago - this time on a big stage with 4 or 5,000 people in the crowd.  He did lots of stuff from his Tom Waits cover album, "Wicked Grin."  There's not too much harp on the album (most of it is Musselwhite doing his moody 3rd pos. low tuned stuff) but it's one of those albums that reminds you that there are people WAY cooler than you'll ever be.  If you haven't checked it out, I highly recommend it!

 - Blake

>>> Fernando Toral <ftoral@xxxxxxxxxxxx> 09/12/05 11:38 AM >>>

Fernando Toral ha escrito:

> John Hammond will be performing in Buenos Aires, Argentina on Saturday
> 10th September.
> I wonder if he's coming with a band or is he alone with his guitar and
> harp...
> I shall be there to tell you.
>
> Fer

On Saturday I went to see John Hammond performing for his first time in
Argentina. He was on stage only with two chairs (one for his customized
Filisko Marine Band harps and a bottle of water), two guitars and himself,
giving us a complete lesson of traditional blues. He played Sonny Boy
Willamson, Howlin' Wolf, Blind Willie Mc Tell, Skip James, ´Jimmy Rogers,
Blind Boy Fuller, Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Mississippi John Hurt
songs, in an hour and a half set, explaining before each tune about how he
learned it, who wrote it... The man is a living encyclopedia of the
country blues!!! The best blues seen in years in Buenos Aires, for sure.

Fer from Argentina