From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Steve Shaw
Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 4:07 PM
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Special 20s "built in obsolescence"

I think the other guys are right, Tony.  Going from my own experience:
started using low D SP20s about ten years ago when I was "less than
intermediate" shall we say.  I don't think I ever made one last a whole
month.  I was trying to play as loud as possible all the time to keep up

volume-wise with fiddles and mandolins in noisy pub settings.  I started
amplify myself, and of course I had terrible amplified tone at first.  I

read a lot of very good advice about tone and projection, mostly here,
and
worked hard on these aspects.  I can now cut through the others without
my
amp sometimes if the pub's quiet.   A Special 20 will now last me about
six
months before I have to do any reed-replacing (and I do use them a lot -
can be playing for 3-4 hours and use that harp for 60% of the time, once
or
twice a week AND use the same harp at home for practice).  For me it was
all
about playing technique.

Cheers

Steve