[Harp-L] Special 20s "built in obsolescence"

I am 1 year into things, and am getting frustrated with the ease at which the Special 20s blow out, or actually bend out. This last C of mine lasted only about 3 weeks and I don't think I was working it all that hard. In fact, I have been in different keys of late, so I reckon it hasn't lasted well at all. It seems they go flat quickly, and I reckon it is the tuning method in the factory that puts many diagonal scores in the base of the reed, where it later cracks. Not good method I reckon. If the reeds need to be flattened initially, well there is something wrong with the initial reed design. I would have thought a reed should only have to be sharpened by the factory. If I am right, well this is built in obsolescence. I was told by a seasoned performer that he uses Lee Oskars as they are significantly stronger reedplates. Is this true? Even my one and only customised is off pitch on one hole using my guitar tuner, and my ear too surprisingly, but I daren't take to the base of a reed intentionally. Any advice or opinion gratefully appreciated.