Re: [Harp-L] minidisc substitute

fjm <mktspot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I spent some time reading the Harmony
> Central site regarding the Sony HD Mini disc vs the Micro Track
> recording device.  You get the same amount of uncompressed raw data per
> storage byte with either one.  125 minutes for 2 gig of stroage.  The
> Mini Track comes with a built in pair of microphones and a mic pre amp.

a 1G HD minidisc holds 90 minutes or so uncompressed, or
8 hours at their high quality compression.  the former is great when
it matters, like recording a show, where the latter is great for when
it doesn't, like recording weekly jam sessions.  the advantage of
the minidisc over say, a compact flash card, is that extra HD discs
cost may $6, so you can have a bunch of them.

>   Pricey compared to what?  Standard mini disc recorders use
> compression.  Anything else that's currently available that records at a
> CD quality quickly gets up to $1000.

the sony hd recorders (at least the rh9 and rh 10) will record
straight pcm (wav) format uncompressed, as well as their atrac3
(256kb compressed) format.  costs $219 online.

----
Garry Hodgson, Technical Consultant, AT&T Labs

Your love, your anger, your kindness, your hate.
All of it creates the future for you and your children.
What kind of future are you creating today?