Fwd: [Harp-L] switching tubes to create easier breakup

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, stiv whiskywine
<thepinkcrickets@xxxx> wrote:
Hey

When you guys talk about switching tubes from 12ax7 to something that
will breakup easier, are you guys switching everyone of the preamp
tubes or just 1 ? What would happen if you just switched one?  Man, I
need to get hip to gear!
Steven Campos

Hey, Steven.  The usual "I'm-no-expert, but" caveat applies here.
There are so many variables with pre-amp tube swapping -- the amp, the
eq controls on the amp, the power tubes, the number of pre-amp tubes in
the amp, which ones you swap,the microphone (huge!), the brand and
vintage of the tubes, the ears and taste of the listener -- that it can
get difficult to make generalizations.  So, I think it's worth getting
a handful of preamp tubes(including some NewOldStock) and experiment
(maybe take some notes).  Try 12au, 12ay, 12at, 12ax.  I think this is
fun, and isn't a problem unless you get so into it that you stop
playing!  --john k.