RE: [Harp-L] Marine Band Deluxe

Fernando Bresslau writes:
... Mojo Red:
> > Hugely disappointed with the half-fast job they did
> > sealing the comb. My A harp now has white
> > air-pockets creeping under the sealant on the front
> > of the comb tines where moisture got underneath.
> > When my G har arrived, I went ahead and sealed the
> > rest of the comb on that harp.

... (Fernando:)
>  2) There is a good reason why the comb is not sealed on all surfaces. The
> aim was to make a wooden body which works great, trying to mantain it as
> "wooden" as possible. We have found out that it is not necessary to seal
the
> two surfaces where the plates come in contact with the body. The Marine
Band
> Deluxe bodies work very well this way, continuing to be wood, and not
being
> turned into plastic.
>  All the best,
> Fernando. WHF is almost here!

On the subject of partially sealed combs, I don't have a Marine Band Deluxe,
but I do have a slew of Hering 1923 Vintage diatonics.  They also have
partially sealed combs, where the surfaces that meet the reedplates are
completely unsealed.  I hadn't considered Fernando's point; I just figured
it was a manufacturing convenience, where they could machine 10 channels in
a long board, seal the whole board and then cut combs off the ends.  At any
rate, to my point in writing, I have had absolutely no problems with the
partially sealed Herings and I've played 'em a bunch.

I must say that it is refreshing and reassuring to see Fernando's "can do"
attitude towards his company's products.  It's great to have such a direct
contact on the list.  After all, I have a bunch of Hohner harmonicas, too.
Doesn't everybody?  8^)

You don't have to keep "harping" about the WHF, though, Fernando.  I'm
amongst the bunch of us who can't even consider traveling abroad to attend
the WHF...  You're making me jealous!   ;)

Michelle