[Harp-L] Re: Embossing

Hi "embossers",

Vern answered Jonathan Metts and explained the technic of embossing
in his detailed and expert way as always. He didn´t forget to mention also
the most essential mistake which can happen at embossing, to narrow the
reed/slot tolerance too much so that the reed finally sticks.

I assume that this will happen inevitably. In such a case I offer 2
possibilities
to get the reed free again for discussion:

1. Before embossing the slot sides I would place a razor blade into the
    reed tolerance in an upright position. For this purpose the blade should
    be fixed with small pieces of tape. If the slot wall is now embossed too
    much the slot edge will touch the razor blade and shift it towards the
    reed edge which can be noticed when the blade starts to change its
    upright position.

2. However, once it has happened and the reed sticks the reed can be
    released by removing material either from the reed or the slot edge.
    Because the plate is considerably thicker than a reed, I suggest to
    work the reed edge. This can be done without fearing to influence the
    pitch because the pitch only depends on the reed length and not on
    its width.

    But the slot edge can also be worked without problems. Years ago
    we discussed about chamfering the slot ends in order to adjust the
    tangential slot wall to the circular reed motion.

Well, Jonathan, you mentioned that Hering plates are harder than Hohner
plates. Where do you know that? But if so that wouldn´t influence the technic

of embossing. I only can imagine a problem at chrome-plated plates which
might be a little harder than brass plates.

Siegfried