Re: [Harp-L] band arrangements/ band leader

I like the point in your last couple of sentences, Jim. I've heard too many 'geniuses' playing for their own entertainment.

A.

----- Original Message ----- From: <james.french@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, October 29, 2005 1:01 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] band arrangements/ band leader

I would like to relate my experiences as to a band without a leader. I was in
a group(The Mudcats) that was led? by the guitarist. This is fairly common
practice and he was soley intrested in playing only what intrested him. He
learned some songs others wanted to sing and play but, basically it was his
showcase. He is young and quite talented yet seemed oblivious to the needs of
the crowd (we were a bar band) as a result our potential was never fully
realized. Long solos, lack of songs with a good dance beat are a dirth in
taverns. People like to dance and bar owners sell a lot more drinks when
people keep dancing. We were talented and popilar enough to keep booked and
draw crowds but, there could have been another level reached. I ran a band 9
years previous to joining this one and we were much more successful with a lot
less talent. My point being that a strong leader tends to the audiences' needs
ina way that fosters entertainment not to mention promotion, song selection,
encouraging showmanship that makes each audience member feel as if you are
playing just for them. Thanks for letting me blow off steam.
keep turning blue,
Jim French