[Harp-L] Re: posting and the very steep learning curve of subtext

Hi all,

I was a little time unintentionally unsubscribed because I cancelled my
provider
and later revoked it. But now I´m back and my first downloaded mail was this
post of the list-owner.

Hmmh, though he didn´t mention any names but obviously meant that little
conversation between Jason Ricci and Vern on the way how to play in
different keys (I haven´t archived the original subject).

Well, I would say that Jason had not much to apologize. They were both a
little
teasing. Nevertheless, this little "irritation" leads me to some ideas I
gathered
since I joined the list in 1996 as an active writer.

In Germany we know the saying "Was Du schwarz auf weiß besitzt, kannst Du
getrost nach Hause tragen" ( "What you have in black and white you can easily

carry home")

On the first view it sounds to be very comfortable but on the second view it
reveals the other side of the medal. You can talk a lot about this and that
but always can see it in perspective. What? I should have said that? That
must
be an accoustical error or misunderstanding ...However, a signed written
contract
can´t be considered a misunderstanding or error.

The same goes for harp-L. A lot of disclaimers, apologies, corrections could
be
avoided when the typed black in white is reflected afterwards or better is
thought
over before or as the list-owner formulated:  > count to 10 and then post. >

For my part, I "compose" my list posts constantly looking into the
dictionaries
to find the appropriate English term to express what I want to say. That´s
the
handicap of a non-native and I´m always envy in reading the vocabulary of
native
list members.

< While it's not readily apparent at first read almost every post you'll see
< on this list has some deeper hidden meaning.  >

By the time one can learn a lot about the character of list contributors,
Harpie and me included.

Apropos, Harpie. I invented this imaginary figure not only for entertainment
but
also to reveal my ideas indirectly. An example:

I had Harpie studied "harpiology" at all 13 Oxfords in the States including
the English one, finaly trading under Dr. harp. Harpie Naruhn.
Simultaneously,
I let him ask questions about the harp which proves him to be an absolute
ignorant on harp matters. This contradiction is well intended and meant as
a more or less hidden criticism about curious statements of so-called  or
would-be "experts".

Here Harpie asks me whether harp-L also knows of such "experts".
Hmmh, Harpie, let me answer it this way: at least you aren´t one.

For my part I can say that I changed my style by the time. In former years
I responded more aggressively to unqualified questions or flaming comments.
But "elder statesmen" have to become mellow and indulgent.

Cheers to harp-L the forum of harp-playing normal human beings.

Harpfried