[Harp-L] Promoting your band.

I've been all over the web looking for any edge possible in getting my music heard.  Like several of us on the list, I play as a weekend warrior.  We play about 3-6 times in a given month.

Here are some links some of you guys may find useful:
http://www.musicisland.com/mastermarketing.htm
http://www.bardscrier.com/musicbiz/
http://www.rapcointelpro.com/Do's%20And%20Don'ts.htm
http://www.1-record-deal-music-business.com/articles/

I am also curious about any of the things my fellow harp brethren have done to help establish a fan base and get people to come to shows.

In Minnesota, gigging as a blues band is really tough.  There are only a few "blues" clubs and they tend to not be really nice places to play, although there are several that are very sweet.  Most bookers won't even want to hear your demo if you play blues, but if they know you have a fan base they are much easier to deal with.

I have had a lot of luck in my hometown of 40,0000, Mankato.  We've gotten press, a promoter of sorts, repeat gigs at venues, radio mentions, etc. But the next hurdle is the "Twin Cities" of Minneapolis/St. Paul, where it has been much harder to get the word out.

This isn't real harp related other then the fact I play harp and we try to market that.  If you have ideas but feel this is offtopic please email me offlist.

Thanks!

Mike Fugazzi
Harmonica/Vocals
NiteRail