RE:[Harp-L] Recording in studio...advice?

Hello Mike,

It is important to remember that making records and playing live are two
different skills that should be thought of as such. Some people think that good
records are made by mistake or luck. However, there are more things to think
about then there is space here.

When you go into the recording studio having back ups for your harps, mics and
cables, as mentioned, is essential. If you have a problem while you are there
you will be covered and the session will not be interrupted. If you have a
chance to make a simple recording of the songs that you will play in the studio
then do so. Work with that recording on your own. Try to visualize what you
will play in the studio. This will give you more confidence and put you more at
ease.

If you have a chance to go to the studio before the recording date, do so. You
will feel more comfortable when recording time comes. Check out the sound of
the room where your amp will be. Bring a harmonica with you so that you can
hear the acoustic sound. Try to put you amp where there is the most natural
ringing sound. Make sure that the engineer has an idea of the sound that the
band is looking for. Bring a CD that is close to that sound if need be.
Test your equipment beforehand to make sure that it is as quiet as it can be as
any unwanted hums or buzzes will be picked up during recording. I have a mic
cable that I only use in the recording studio and not on live gigs.

Remember, every amp sounds different in every room. Always bring your own amp
to the studio. I usually bring at least two or three. If only one of them
sounds good you will be happy that you did not leave it at home. What sounds
good on stage does not always sound good in a studio. I strongly recommend that
you borrow an amp that is smaller and less powerful than a Bassman. Bring it
along and you may just find that you prefer the sound of it in the recording
studio. Bring a camera.

Think of each song as if it were a separate recording session and do not be
afraid to change you amp settings or amp to give different colors to a specific
song.
Recording is a wonderful and exciting thing to do, enjoy it. I hope that this
helps you.

Keith Dunn
www.keithdunn.com