[Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 26, Issue 60

It is a misunderstanding that pianos can only be tuned in equal temperament.

Up until now we were only talking about equal versus just intonation, but
there is a whole world in between.

When using just intonation, all intervals are tuned pure, so for example, we
have perfect fifths.

But the problem is, that when we add up these perfect fifths (always jump a
perfect fifth further like following the circle of fifths) that at the end,
when we reach the original note again, the pitch does not match the pitch of
the note we started on.

In earlier instruments the solution was to tune all intervals correct, but
one, the "wolf"
In equal temperament, the error is divided equaly among all intervals.
But you can also divide the error in a way, that it is better for certain
keys, and worse for others.

So actually you could say that on a piano that is tuned in equal
temperament, none of the intervals sound correct, they all sound eaqually
out of tune.
In an historical temperament some intervals will sound more in to tune, or
in to tune, and others more out of tune.
I like to pay the price of having certain intervals more out of tune (but
still in a range that is listenable) to have the intervals which are played
more, more into tune.

I love the sound of pure intervals, and have made the comparison amoung
several temeraments, and I even find equal temperament disturbing for
certain types of music.

Thats why i always have my piano tuned in a temperament created by Thomas
Young. Which for me gives the best of both worlds. It may sound strange in
certain keys if you start listening to it, but there is more color in the
music.
It really makes my piano sing.

It also depends on the type of music you are playing. For Jazz and modern
music probably ET will work best, but for older music (up until about 1930)
a well tempered piano is much more beautiful. (at least to my ears)

regards,

Joris.