Re: [Harp-L] harp tuning

Jim:
>1) Why don't I hear about Equal vs. Just tuning on
>other instruments...

Tim:
>The discussion has more to do with chromatic vs.
>diatonic instruments...

True, with an additional consideration. Understand
that any pitch is comprised up of multiple frequencies
or overtones. Take the reference A440 for example.
It's FUNDAMENTAL frequency is 440 revolutions per
second. Riding on this sound wave however are overtone
frequencies of 880, 1760, 3520 and infinitely more.

The relative strength of these overtones are what
produce tone. They are what make a piano sound
different from a guitar or make an electric guitar
sound different than an acoustic guitar. These are
also what you are adjusting when you fiddle with knobs
on your amplifier. Finally, it is these overtones
which can make an equal tempered chord sound harsh.

So, an equal tempered chord on a piano IS 'out of
tune' BUT, a piano doesn't produce the overtones that
cause the harshness as strongly as does a harmonica so
it can more easily get away with it. It's not as
noticeable. The harmonica isn't alone. I believe this
can be a problem with some organ sounds as well.

My question: Is the 5 draw in Just tuning in relation
to the draw chord or the key of the harp. In other
words, is the -29 deviation a just tuned perfect fouth
in relation to Blow 1 or a just tuned flat 7th in
relation to Draw 2. Are they different?

Paul

Yahoo! Music Unlimited
http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/