Re: [Harp-L] harp tuning

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim McBride" <jpmcbride@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 8:35 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] harp tuning

Thanks to whoever it was that posted the links on harp tuning. I've read all this before, but this was the clearest explanation I've seen. The bottom line is really pretty straight forward. Equal tuning sets each note to the exact pitch and allows melody and single note playing to sound best. Just tuning adjusts a few of the pitches so that the intervals are correct - this makes chords sound good. Do you harp tuning experts out there agree with this simple explanation? Now a few questions for the experts...

1) Why don't I hear about Equal vs. Just tuning on other instruments that play both single notes and chords? You never hear guitar or piano players discussing this. Why only harp?

Because harmonica reeds give off many many more harmonic overtones than a guitar string does, especially the odd numbered ones that tend to be very harsh to the human ears.

2) I like to play SP20's but can't find any info on how they are tuned. I believe they are Just tuned because I know that my Herring 1923 is Just tuned and the SP20 sounds very close to it. Does anyone know how Hohner tunes SP20's?

They're tuned exactly like the hand made Marine Bands are.

3) Is the 5 draw one of the notes that get adjusted for Just tuning? I have a particular song, "Little Wing" by Jimi Hendrix (E minor) where I play a simple 3rd position solo with a D harp. I have a 5 draw in the solo and everytime I play it I hear it slightly off. Its close, but I can tell something is wrong. I thought maybe I was accidentally bending it, or that the particular SP 20 I used was out of tune. But now I'm thinking its the Just tuning. Should I get a Golden Melody which is Equal tuned to solve this?

Yes.

4) Does anyone have a straightforward chart on the factory tuning for particular harps? What I had in mind was taking a harp and checking it on my chromatic tuner and adjusting it back to the proper factory tuning. For example, the chart might tell me that my 5 draw should be tuned 20 cents sharp from the intended note.

They generally use a standard pitch of A442-A443 because if a harp was truly tuned to A440, when played hard, it would be actually be playing closer to A438, which would be VERY flat against a guitar tuned to A440.

All Lee Oskars, Golden Melody, and Suzuki's are tuned to equal temperament. Hering 1923 Vintage Harps are tuned to 7 limit just intonation (the same way MB's/Sp20's used to be tuned to 20 years ago), and the MB/Sp 20's use the following comprimise tuning:

Hole #    1     2      3     4       5      6      7     8      9     10
Blow      0   -12   +1     0     -12    +1     0   -12   +1      0
Draw    +2   +1   -11   +2    -12    +3    -11  +2   -12    +3

The Hohner MS diatonics (Big River, Cross Harp, Blues Harp, Meisterklasse, Martin, Tiffany, MS MB) uses this one:

Hole #    1     2      3     4      5      6     7      8      9     10
Blow      0   -10   +1     0    -10    +1    0   -10    +1      0
Draw    +2   +1    -9   +2     +3    +3   -9   +2    +3    +3

The 7 limit just intonation that's used on the Hering 1923 Vintage Harps, MB/Sp20's/Blues Harp/Old Standby's prior to 1985:

Hole #    1      2      3      4      5       6     7     8       9     10
Blow      0    -14   +2      0    -14    +2     0   -14    +2      0
Draw    +4    +2    -12   +4   - 29   +6   -12   +4    -29   +6

From 1985-89, the MB/Sp20/Old Standby/Blues Harps used 19 limit just
intonation, which is as follows:

Hole# 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Blow 0 -14 2+ 0 -14 2+ 0 -14 2+ 0