[Harp-L] Re: Leo Diamond and Neil Diamond

Just got back from our tour, and trying to catch up with the internet duties. I couldn't believe what I was reading on Harp-L regarding the old rumor that Neil was the son of Leo. I guess that might have been partly my fault, as I had used an old article from SPAH's Harmonica Happenings, as an historical page, at the request of Douglas Tate. This was done with tongue-in-cheek, as an attempt to kid Chris Bauer, who at a very young age submitted a series of excellent articles under the caption, "Kids News For Kids". He might have been about 12 years of age at the time.

The subject article appeared originally in the Fall 1976 issue of Harmonica Happenings, and was reprinted in the Spring 2004 edition. I am sure it was an innocent statement made by Chris, but there had been no attempt by the editor to verify such things, and they were published verbatim. (This was not the only incident of this type.)

I was further amazed to note that the misconception of the relationship was verified by another on Harp-L without substantial proof.

I do know Leo's "real" son, Bob (Robert) of Los Angeles, and enjoyed dinner at his home with him and his mother Esther on several occasions, in 1983. At that time, Robert had reproduced many of his father's albums on cassette tape, and offered them for sale through Harmonica Happenings, and at SPAH Conventions.

So - let the rumor die, please.

Danny

--
BassHarp