[Harp-L] Re: triplets

"Jason Ricci employs triplets as a strategy also.  It's a really good way
to string together cohesive fast runs on harmonica.  There are a lot of
things that are physically difficult to do on harmonica, fast chromatic
runs and a lot of chords for instance but triplets are easier on
harmonica than they are on many other instruments.  fjm"

If triplets are what I think they are (sorry, I'm still working on my theory), then Dylan used them in a simple but effective way in a lot of his early work.  Usually on a single hole, he'd blow, draw, blow very fast in an otherwise slow solo.  It's a pretty easy technique to learn, and if you want to get that Dylan harp sound, it'll put you well on your way.  It also helps to learn to play two holes at a time, including on bends, which can be a real challenge if you're set in your habit of playing clean single notes.  (Dylan could definitely --DEFINITELY-- play clean single notes, but he often elected not to in his early harp playing.  He plays more single note style these days.)

I think what JP and JR do is the same idea but played across two or three holes, which requires more skill to hit cleanly.  Plus you have to know a lot about scales to do it musically.

Jonathan Metts