RE: [Harp-L] Fills, not stepping on others

Listening is an art aside from playing.  Listen to the vocalist,
there is usually a natural space between the lines.  Listen to the
rhythm of the vocalist and try to respond with a similar line.  You
have to beware of other lead players.  Communicate with the other
lead musicians as to who will take the fills...

I usually don't play when another player is soloing and in general is
not a good idea.  My trio is an exception to this rule where I will
usually fall into playing some kind of bass figure. We don't have a
chordal instrument so I'm more or less forced to do something.

When in doubt do not play.  Silence isn't going to drive anyone crazy
unless you've been buried alive.