[Harp-L] Taro

I was playing with Taro at the Masterclass in 2000 of Dave Barrett's, we
were both playing through a Sonny Jr. - I gladly just laid back and played
rythym for him, no one should feel the need to impose their will on a youngster.
Low self esteem would come to mind if that occurred. Taro was a great player,
with feeling, at the age of 8, very impressive. I did a duet with Ross Garren
when he was 14, another Masterclass , but this was with a big audience, did
the  Mean Woman Blues like Sonny and I did for years. Ross took a lesson in the
day,  and I had the idea, must have come from my mentor who said pass it
along like I  did you. I said to Ross, I am calling you up to do this, he turned
white. Then I  said, and wear a suit. I can tell he had not worn one too often,
I was taught  respect for the art, put on a show when people are there to see
you. We each did  a little solo in it, he never played before an audience
before, now he is a  teacher with Dave, super player. The look of pride in his
father's eyes when we  came offstage was all I needed. Sure, Sonny Terry spanked
my ass every night,  and I gladly pulled my pants down, but I was a grown man
and learned from him  every night. If everyone remembers how crucial growing
up was, and how one  impression can last a lifetime, maybe they would think
twice before feeling the  need to shine. Big Walter could impose his will with
ONE note, the king of tone.  I saw him toy with the great Jerry Portnoy at a
club in Boston, and Jerry loved  it too. I am blessed to have these experiences,
now I am going to put them to  the proper use. Be gentle and kind to those
youngsters, no matter how good they  are. Give them tips, make them sound good
when dueting. It will come back to  you, I remember something called Karma in
my day. Guess this was 3 cents worth.  Sonny Jr. -