Re: [Harp-L] martial arts, music theory, pop music, and harmonica.

Several of the latest threads compel me to finally chime in on this. I've been a martial artist for a long time and one of the things that I observed long ago was that martial arts, dancing, music, and "bedroom wrestling" have far more in common than most people realize. They are all ultimately about relationships. You can do all of these activities by yourself. Music becomes the relationship of pitch, and time that you can enjoy alone, or other people can enjoy listening to. Martial arts practiced alone is the relationship of time and distance with the movements of your own body that you can enjoy and people can enjoy watching. You can dance alone and your time and distance also relates to the music. No need to describe wrestling alone. With all of them repetitious practice, putting movement into muscle memory improves us.

All of that can stand alone, as practice or as art, but when it's with someone else it is at it's highest form. Most martial arts practice is practice, without bad intentions, with a partner. In the beginning it is extremely cooperative, as you advance it gets turned up a bit to bring out the best in your training partner, and in yourself. Same with dancing, two moving as one, with grace. I can easily teach martial arts to a dancer because they already know how to move gracefully while controlling time and distance with respect to someone else. Playing music with someone else; now you are doing what you do with someone else. Gotta pay attention to them, as well as what you want to do. You can be leading them one moment and responding the next. You must cope with their breaks in rhythm just like a martial artist or dancer. No need to describe bedroom wrestling.

All of these beautiful arts can go to the dark side if someone has bad intentions. For the martial artist the level of non-cooperation goes from bringing out the best to doing harm, or protecting yourself from harm. Dancers can hurt each other physically, or press their partner to hurt themselves. Dancers who are also martial artist know that they can use their dance movements for martial purpose. The sensual tango is extraordinarily martial. Music, friendly competition, can become an attack at an emotional level. Once again, no need to describe the dark side of bedroom wrestling.

Sometimes words fail us. I have never observed bad intentions in the parties involved in the burying a kid on the stage controversy. I never got the impression of bad intentions and assumed it was a reference to turning up the intensity to bring out the best. Sometimes things can go beyond the intended level, or we can miscalculate the ability of that other person in the relationship. Too bad when it happens, hopefully instead of it being a bad experience it can be a valuable learning experience. I've certainly learned many a valuable lesson in martial arts where I picked myself up from the ground and limped home to my bottle of dit-da jaow (Chinese liniment). We can't control how the other person perceives "defeat" and how they will respond. The best that we can do is keep our intentions good when we do our best.

The music is with a harp of course :0)

Peace and music,
Dave