RE: [Harp-L] Pop is for the weak.

"Chris Michalek" <Chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Believe what you want about advertising and the music industry.
> Labels pay for the airtime. That's a fact.  Do your research. They
> decide who the HITs will be, the masses has a less of a say then you
> think.  If somebody in power decided Jazz is the next "IT" music then
> it would be.  Unfortunately they are all following each other and
> thus the circle of mediocrity continues. There are exceptions of
> course. IMOWFL

Chris is absolutely right about this except it's not exactly the labels.
It's all politics involving labels, radio, lawyers and most importantly,
money. I'm involved in the music business - which is an oxymoron - and
the powers-that-be decide who will be the next number one, not the
masses. Tim McGraw's latest single will be number one for the next two
weeks followed by Faith Hill's for a week followed by the Dixie Chicks.
It's the same in ALL genres.

It didn't used to be so bad but since the "deregulation" of radio in
1996 one company can own hundreds of stations. Check out Clear Channel.
They own 1800+ stations including every station in a market. The
country, pop, classic rock, hip-hop, etc. stations. There's no
competition for advertising. They also own most venues these days. And
if an artist refuses to play their venues and use Ticketmaster, their
songs don't get played on Clear Channel's stations. Prior to the
deregulation, one company could only own four stations and only one in
any given market.

I have a buddy that co-wrote a Hank Jr. single 1 1/2 years ago. But
since Hank Jr. pissed off radio long ago it only reached 38 on the
charts even though the masses liked the song a lot.

Like the government and freedom, it ain't what they tell you in school.

Bobby