RE: [Harp-L] Barrett Soloing Workshop, Harp Learning Materials (long)

Ok, now that's some reasonable stuff that I agree with, AKC!

I think maybe you're the optimistic, encouraging type to simplify things and
make them sound easier, some folks need that. I'm more the pessimistic,
over-cautious type to over-analyze everything (as if everybody here can't
tell that by now) and scare the hell out of people. Right brain left brain
or whatever. Somewhere in between there's a wide range of what's "right", I
think.

I was concerned after I posted that I might have scared folks away from
stepping up at a jam. Yeah, it can be like that stuff I said, so be
prepared, go in strong and prepared for that. There are mean people
everywhere, even musicians haha. But for every mean one, there are probably
ten that will support and encourage your efforts so when you think you're
ready, take the step and go for it. When is that? When you can play at home
to jam cd's or whatever, and objectively say that you're pretty sure you're
playing in the right key, can provide background and fills that don't clash
or sound *too* bad (or just be quiet at the right times), and have something
to say that fits reasonably well when you get the nod to solo for your 12 or
24 bars (and you have something *different* to say when your other songs
start, haha). So that's improvisation - you can't memorize stuff at home for
that part, you have to be able to play something that fits (again, *just*
reasonably well) with what the band is saying at the time during that song.
As you say, it's not that hard, you just have to get to a certain level
first, after you've got some of the basic techniques down, you move to this
type thing. But you can also just tell the person who is leading the group
for your set that you don't want any solos, just to get the experience being
up there, if you are up to doing the fills/background.

After you play, step back and evaluate things after you do. If you can have
it recorded with one of the gizmos talked about recently here, or even a
cassette recorder, assess how it went. Listen *hard* to any comments made by
the others and do not get upset if someone gives you advice. It doesn't mean
you did bad. THAT is the way to get better. Swallow your pride and don't be
too sensitive. Now a lot of that sounds like a contradiction to what I
posted earlier - just keep in mind this is after you're at a reasonable
level to attempt your first jamming experience in the type of environment
I'm talking about. Find some of the other musicians and have the courage to
ask them how you did, say "I'm a beginner, what do I need to work on". Maybe
ask them *before* you play to assess and provide advice.

Bill