[Harp-L] Re: chromatic vs. diatonic debate

Reach... I like your seminar suggestion for next SPAH... or any harmonica gathering or fest, for that matter.

Another idea might be something I've mulled about for awhile, which is to have some sharing seminars where players of all ilks are invited to "meet, greet and take a seat" with one another, with an aim to bridging that gap you spoke of.

Hopefully, there would also be growth of cross-learning and more shared appreciation of varied approaches to making music "harmonically". Mainly, it would be great if more friendships could also arise from such gatherings, as I would also expect to happen. And that would be great, because friends share with friends a whole lot more than strangers do!!

Perhaps they could be arranged along the lines of the very successful type of rotational seminars that SPAH has been experimenting with the last couple years. That formula is for a large room to have a circular set of several separate groups with one instructor at each. At prescribed timed intervals, everyone in each group is encouraged to get up and move over to the next group in the circle until they have all experienced each presenter's ideas, instruction, philosophy, whatever. At the end, a few minutes are allowed to let those who would like to spend a bit more time with instructors who most interested them to be able to do so.

For my idea, maybe each small group could be a "presenter", with different style groups taking turns at the head of the whole room of attendees and having open discussion with the audience. We've done something similar, but they involve a group of, say, all diatonic blues players, or all harmonica trio type players. While good, it obviously only encourages attendance by folks interested in that particular type of harmonica, or music, genre, technique, what have you. You still end up with a lot of "preachers" and one large "choir"!! ;)

In a rotational or switching environment, every group should have to be in the room with all the others in order to get their turn at the "podium", so there is more varied exposure to differing ideas, instruments, styles, techniques, etc., with open discussion as the key to success.

To be honest, I generally feel there is a lot more movement from all sides these days to find common ground and mutual respect. I even think this latest round of this familiar debate onlist is refreshingly more positive and thoughtful than ones in the past. Some will never change, of course, but, in my book, they are the ones poorer for it in the end.

Bobbie
|| h a r p s p o k e n h e r e || SPAH Members Support Harp-L! ||