Re: [Harp-L] A Response by the Writer of How We Can ...

"Phillip L. Miller" <pemiller86@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Response to the Comments Made About My Article On
>
> How We Can Save the Chromatic Harmonica from Extinction
> Nevertheless, to quote Blackie Schackner, the two instruments are
> not the same, just as the flute is different from the clarinet, or saxophone.

the flute is entirely different from the other two, with a completely
different mechanism for producing the sound.  clarinet and sax are
far more similar.  does the clarinet differ from whichever kind of sax
it's closest to (alto?) only in the body material?  or is there something
more fundamental?

note that there are several kinds of saxophones, differing in size,
tone, and shape.  yet all are afforded respect, as far as i know,
despite sharing the word "saxophone" in their names.

> The important thing is not so much what we decide to call the
> chromatic instrument, but that we all have a meeting of the minds
> and come to an agreement on a name.

first you need a meeting of the minds as to whether a name change is
necessary or desirable, let alone achievable.  only then does the issue
of what names to use become important.  i don't think you've made the
case yet, nor achieved any consensus.

> Notice:  the statement that the chromatic harmonica may become
> extinct came from personal observation and from the article by
> Alan "Blackie" Schackner entitled, "Is There a Future for the Chromatic
> Harmonica?" that appeared in The Free-Reed Journal and reprinted with
> permission from The Harmonica Educator.
> See webpage: http://www.ksanti.net/free-reed/essays/schacknerfuture.html

an interesting article, if rather condescending towards both diatonics and "new music".
but i get the sense that it's the passing of a style of music he laments,
rather than a kind of instrument.  it's hard to tell, given how he conflates the two.

----
Garry Hodgson, Technical Consultant, AT&T Labs

Your love, your anger, your kindness, your hate.
All of it creates the future for you and your children.
What kind of future are you creating today?