[Harp-L] 1. How We Can Save the Chromatic Harmonica from Possible Extinction (randy singer)

Hello Harp l
As a professional drummer for over 30 years I am very used to hearing wisecracks about drummers "hanging around" with "real" musicians.
I now perform on harmonica(s) as well, and for some reason the same prejudice is still applied. However, jazz players will say to me, "Oh, then you're really playing an instrument" when I tell them I also play chromatic, or "the big one with the button" as they know it. I have sent samples of my harmonica playing to various friends and professional contacts who know and respect me musically. They are valued by me, due to their unfailing ability to tell me when I stink, yet the only positive musical comments I get are regarding the songs I play on chromatic. For some reason the difficulty of bending to pitch on a diatonic is not appreciated by "normal" people (those who don't play harmonica). Most jazz or classical listeners find the chromatic very appealing. The chromatic is simply a different sound, especially when recorded, and used in a creative way. My MBs don't sound like my Suzukis and neither sounds like my Hard Bopper. There was a recent posting regarding Stevie Wonders new CD and it states that he used both chromatic and diatonic. All prejudice is wrongminded, especially musical prejudice from people who claim to be musicians.
Peace
Steve Merola