[Harp-L] Re: How We Can Save the Chromatic Harmonica from Possible Extinction

  One tangable way we can increase the chance of more people taking up the
chromatic harmonica and making something of it, is to provide as much
education for it as you can find for any other instrument.
  Richard Martin has gone some way doing this.  There are some good
teachers out there too.  There are a few books, but most are at very basic
level.
That was part of the reason I wrote the Chromatic Harmonica reference
http://www.angelfire.com/music/HarpOn
 I'm hoping others will continue to build on whats already out there.
  There was a brief thread some time ago about standardising and grading
harmonica education in the way other professional instruments are.  If
education and support and role models are made readily accessable as they
are for other instruments such as the guitar, piano, sax, flute, etc...
chances are people will persevere with  it.   At the moment, for the most
part, most western players (but definitely not all) have taught themselves,
and its only because they're hooked on it that they've kept going.  I know
of a few professional muscos who've picked up the chrom, and found it too
darn hard, and gone back to the one they know best (ie guitar, sax, piano).
  But it can be a case of Catch 22.  Not enough teachers and material, not
worth setting up the educational material and curriculum.  Not a lot of
material, no curriculum, rarity of good professional teachers, don't get
many students.
  I think the place to start is more good practical educational material.

That said - Chromatic harmonica is commonly taught in Malaysian schools the
way recorders were the instrument commonly taught when I was at school.
Some even go on to take up bass, or chord harmonica, or even melodica.  I
understand there are some very high level educational facilities teaching
chromatic harmonica in Europe.  So I guess what I'm saying is more intended
for Western English speaking countries and areas.

Cheers,
-- G.