RE: [Harp-L] XB-40 Harp

I purchased a XB-40 some time back, and am having a hard time getting a good sound out of the hi end. I've tried playing softer, centering my lips over the hole, and thought maybe there was just a break-in period I had to go thru. I either get no sound, a squeaky sound, or on rare occasions out comes a clean sound.
Could anyone shed some light on what I'm doing wrong?
Regards Don

You might not be doing anything wrong, Don. I bought two XB40s, one in G and one in low D. They were both pretty well unplayable when I first got them, mostly due to incorrect gapping, especially but not exclusively of the lowest auxiliary reeds (the ones that don't sound). The low D still feels much tighter in holes 7-10 than in the other holes despite all my efforts to adjust it. Generally I find you have to play them hard to get good response. I do use them in sessions occasionally, and they certainly pack a punch volume-wise, but I'm not in love with 'em, not by a long chalk.

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm
READ review of my CD: http://www.irishmusicreview.com/sshaw.htm