Re: [Harp-L] You are both Wrong. (Was Opps I did it again. Pop is for the week.)

Jazz is still alive but it will never be as popular as it was during the Big
Band era when probably half the people who "enjoyed it" didn't know the
difference between 'hot" and "sweet" bands -- they just wanted to dance with their
sweetie.

In the Detroit area, the local public radio outlet WDET-101.9 FM has been
playing jazz 7-10 p.m. Mon-Fri for about 20 years*, complete with visits and
interviews with jazz performers. Since I work during that time period, I usually
can't catch the station except during my lunch half-hour.

Another guy plays bluesy-jazz and jazzy-blues on WDET on his show. And the
Montreaux Jazz Festival has been broadcast in the past on WDET.

Just recently, the local PBS TV station 56 took over the Detroit Public
Schools FM station (Sept 1?) and programs classical music daytime until 7 p.m. and
jazz until midnight(?).

In addition, there is a "light jazz" on Detroit FM that I have stumbled
across.

(*no footnotes, this ain't no term paper)

I don't have satellite radio yet but the last time I checked it seemed that
both networks have at least one jazz "station."