[Harp-L] You are both Wrong. (Was Opps I did it again. Pop is for the week.)

Richard Hunter wrote:
> "Oh, come on.
> Jazz isn't hard to find on the radio because of payola. Jazz is hard to
> find because stations that play a lot of jazz attract fewer listeners
> than stations that play a lot of pop. etc."

Could also say you are both right.

Young people drive the market. Jazz is old. Jazz is not cool, hip, fly or
whatever word you choose, therefore will get less attention from the folks
buying all the Cd's..
This is one factor.

Record companies and media corporations are about making money. They produce
what they think will sell and promote it strongly. This gets the artists of
their choice in front of people. This influences some people, advertising
does work.
This is another factor.

Remember also, Jazz was once the popular music, getting all the airplay,
irritating musicians playing other forms.