Re: [Harp-L] Re: IMO

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jonathan Metts" <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, October 01, 2005 9:42 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] Re: IMO

Some people may disagree, but I learned in high school that saying things
like "in my opinion" and "personally, I think..." is a sign of weak writing.
When you write in an editorial fashion, which includes most of what is sent
to Harp-L, you are obviously stating opinions and thus do not need to
redundantly say so, especially not frequently.

I agree that leaving out the exceptions and qualifications when stating the main argument is a better way to write. If necessary, they can follow in another paragraph.

Assume everything you read on the Internet is opinion, and you'll be a lot safer in this world. IMO of course! :-)

A post-modernist philosopher would maintain that there are no facts, only perceptions?

When I post, there are some things that I offer as fact* that can be verified from other sources and some that are opinions about which reasonable people may differ. Interesting debate arises at the boundary grey areas where emerging facts may contradict previous opinions. How would you suggest that we indicate position on the fact (earth is round) to opinion (blue is the best color) scale? *The best current explanation, subject to revision based on new evidence.

Vern
Visit my harmonica website: http://www.Hands-Free-Chromatic.7p.com