Fwd: [Harp-L] Country Tuning Variations

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Don Whitener <whitener@xxxx>
wrote:

It is my understanding that Hohner creates their country tuning by
raising 5D
by one semitone.  I read that others raise both 5D and 9D by a
semitone which
intuitively makes more sense by keeping both octaves the same.  I am
curious as
to why Hohner chooses to leave 9D unchanged.  Is there a good reason?

========Winslow:

Possible reasons:

- That's what Charlie McCoy did and they just imitated it

- They (or Charlie, or the guy Charlie got it from) were thinking
melodically and not harmonically. That is, they needed the raised 7th
in melodies. In hole 9 you can get it by bending so you don't "need"
to retune. In Hole 5, on the other hand, absent valving or
overblowing, you need to retune to get that note - a sort of
minimalist approach.

- Looking at it chordally, raising both notes is more consistent. One
the other hand, having both the major and minor 7th in a chord in
different registers, either together or in alternation, can make for
some interesting "dark" harmonies.

Winslow