RE: [Harp-L] Lee Oskar's Moustache

The tenacious moustache grabbing quality of LO harps is well known to us furry faced harping units. I'm wondering what other solutions have been tried to make LO's more friendly.

I scrape some wax from a natural beeswax candle, warm and soften it between my fingers, and press it in around the ends of the cover plate, the square holes, and around the screw edge.

I use the yellow ochre real beeswax because it softens nice when you warm it. Synthetic wax candles chip and flake. It works good and lasts a long time but looks a little funky. I keep looking for the right sized plastic or hard rubber plug from elelctronics or auto parts but haven't found anything yet.

Shaving isn't an option. I've had the moustache 35 years and I'm a little concerned about what might be under there. Any one else got an idea that works?

A topic that, deservedly, is revisited occasionally. Having been moustachio'd for just as long as you, I can tell you that the only reliable way of avoiding that nasty tweak that both makes your eyes water and your temper vile is...trimming. Depending on the individual lip architecture of the person involved (and I do accept that this is a big variable), I suggest that a gap of 3.5 mm from edge of lip to bottom of 'tache is a good working compromise.

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm
READ review of my CD: http://www.irishmusicreview.com/sshaw.htm