Re: [Harp-L] LW Tremelo

John kuzloski writes:
Goin' Down Slow; electronic tremelo. Thanks for replies. Yes, I think it sounds cool. Yes, I think the giveaway is the regularity of the pulse and some other electro-sonic thing that I can't put my finger on that just doesn't sound "natural." Interesting that the track went unissued for so long. The reason I posted the question (apart from seeking confirmation that my ears are screwed on right) was that I had never noticed an LW trem before and never heard any mention of it (on the web or in "the book").
Occasionally Jacobs used tremelo. On the recently issued session from January of '53 that included an alternate of "Fast Boogie," "Drifting Blues," and "Don't Need No Horse" you can hear added tremolo/vibrato on the harp. And it's also audible on later sessions ('58-'59) that produced "The Toddle," and the Le Roi du Blues bootleg version of "Goin' Down Slow." At those points in his career he must have been using an amp that had this built-in feature.

When asked about effects in the Living Blues interview, Walter denied using anything at all in the studio, saying he was "doin' it with my hand." But Louis Myers then contradicted him, saying that the studio had used "viberation."

Tom Ball
Santa Babs