[Harp-L] Re: Jazz on Diatonic

Hello Harp-l
While it is true that Miles Davis, Cassandra Wilson, and many other jazz artists lend their own interpretation to material by changing the head, and many times to my ears, improve it, I'm absolutely certain that they don't change it because it's too difficult for them to play or sing note for note. I'm sure they're able to play it straight. None of their melodic choices are based on their instruments limitations, or vocal range, or dexterity. Jazz players improvise on a melody that's written. It's not a matter of convenience.
If you can play it on a diatonic, mess with it. If you can't, use a chromatic, and please remember you're still playing harmonica. Then mess with it some more.
Peace
Steve Merola