Re: [Harp-L] jazz

On Nov 22, 2005, at 6:32 PM, Chris Michalek wrote:

I have known Clint Hoover for 20 years. He's got fantastic tone on the chromatic and stellar chops. I also like his vibrato and his in one of the reason I have evolved mine to such a high level.

when vibrato reaches the tremello point, it's being over done. I hear a lot of 'warbling' in the last few years. Why? Do players feel that donkey braying is sensual or something?

I also think he has superb folk/country-style blues chops on the
diatonic.  He is a very good jazz chromatic player but I wouldn't put
him in the jazz diatonic class.

On the one hand one could say that no one is in the jass diatonic class. (meaning if you can't do ALL tunes, you don't qualify). On the other hand one could say that every one who has ever turned a chord IS in the jass diatonic class. At this rate, it would include virtually everyone on this list.

BTW, I have been having a discussion with 4 other members off-list regarding this fully chromatic on a diatonic thingie.
Something to remember (and never mentioned except by ME). Tunes contain certain "MUST HAVE" notes. These are few in number but without them and without them being done CORRECTLY, the tune crashes.

I hear many extraordinary diatonic players do a wonderful attempt at some tunes but MISS critical notes. They either can't 'force' the note, bend the note, over-stress the note, etc. because the speed at which they are going from draw to blow (or vice versa) doesn't allow enough time to get the note up to 'tickling' pressure to acheive the whip in the 2nd or 3rd step bend 'ON the fly and ALREADY installed'.

Sooo, what do they do? They slather on a liberal dose of something I like to call 'Snow-Joberall'. A slippy substance similar to armorall. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I'm not capping on anyone here but if one can't do a tune right, don't do it. Simple as that. Now, don't get me wrong. It's fine to play the tune and do whatever you want to with it, but if you're going 'commercial' with it, pick another tune. There's a time to choose a diat. a time to choose a chromo, and then there's a time to choose a flute. Sometimes it's time to choose to take a hike.

smo-joe

--- [This E-mail scanned for viruses by EWOL using Declude Virus]