Re: [Harp-L] jazz

"Rob Paparozzi" wrote:
<Jazz on Diatonic? High Level? You need to get out more or hit a summit or
<convention!,-) High Level Jazz comes in MANY colors!...
<
<Jeff Grossberg, Sandy Weltman, Randy Singer, George Brooks, Allen Holmes,
<Michael Peloquin, Chris Michalek, Sebastian Chalier, The late great Don Les
<and of late.....PT Gazell ! ( I'll be reviewing his new CD "Swingin' Easy,
<Hittin' Hard" )....stay tuned.........,-))))))

I haven't seen Clint Hoover's name in any of these posts yet, but Clint is
a non-stop shoot-out-the-lights master of both diatonic and chromatic harmonica;
he may in fact be the best living jazz harmonica player.  And I've certainly heard
them all.

Clint sticks pretty close to Minneapolis, I gather, so hasn't been heard much outside
the midwest.  However, his two CD releases, "Dream of the Serpent Dog" and "Take
Your Time, Mrs. Brown", showcase his amazing facility, the first in a modern jazz trio
(mostly chromatic) setting, and the second in old-timey (mostly diatonic) styles.  Both
these CDs are must-haves for anyone who's into the harmonica.

I'll add my name to the list of jazz diatonic players, and offer as evidence "Blue Monk",
"Comin Home Baby," and "The Longing" from my CD "The Act of Being Free in One Act,"
and "How Long Have I Loved You," with Sonny Rollins sideman Jerome Harris on guitar,
from my CD "The Second Act of Free Being."  Whether this work is "high level" I leave
to the listener to decide.

Thanks, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com