[Harp-L] Country tuning

In a message dated 11/19/2005 5:33:56 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
harp-l-request@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

So I  suppose my question is; is anyone
familiar with this tuning playing  country & are there any specific  country
songs
to which the  major 7th tuning is almost indispensable?
While I'm on the  subject, are there any worthwhile  instructionals
(books, video  etc)
on playing country harp available? I'm aware that Charlie McCoy has  one  &
also Mike Stevens. Has anyone tried these? Any & all  suggestions  welcome,
Regards,
Will

Will, i frequently use Country Tuned harps.  Whenever i accompany  someone
when i don't know the song intimately, i usually stick my CT harp in my  armpit
in case i need to switch mid-song.
  If u play melodies a lot, u should run into lots of instances where  the CT
is more useful.  U can get the notes by using OB's but the CT harps  allow u
to get the notes easily and sweetly bend, etc.   Re  examples of songs i use
them in, there are so many; and the song doesn't have to  be country.  Off the
top of my head, try playing the Willie Nelson song,  Crazy.  If i think of
other examples, i'll try to post them.
  Re instructionals, tho CT's are covered in the one Charlie McCoy
instructional tape i saw, it didn't specifically instruct how to play on CT  harps.
But if u listen to Charlies recordings, u will hear a  lot of usage.
 U can go to Charlie's website and download his key sheet, which tells  u
what harps he used in every song of every one of his records.  U'll see  Charlie
uses them a lot.  U can take it from there.
ron